Prof. Alfred Joseph Baldacchino, M.Litt.Econ.(Oxon), D.Pol.Econ.(Oxon), Ph.D.Econ., Rector of the Universitas Sancti Cyrilli – A.D.1669 of Valletta, has been awarded the honorary degree of Doctor Honoris Causa from the State University of Vlore “Ismail Qemali” in Albania, with the consent of the Hon. Evis
Kushi, Minister of Education, Sport and Youth.
The Conferment Ceremony was held in the Aula Magna of the nine thousand student University, and was presided over by the Rector, Prof. Roland Zisi. The Academic Senate, Professors and students were also present.
Prof. Zisi, Chairman of the Academic Senate, opened the Ceremony and read out the following citation in support of Prof. Baldacchino’s Doctorate:
“In recognition of his altruistic and unreserved assistance and support in the internationalisation of the University of Vlore “Ismail Qemali”, Albania with the aim of promoting and adhering this University to serious and qualitative European university networks and beyond; his great contribution to building a long-term academic partnership between our two institutions in exchange of contemporary experiences to modernise teaching, raise the level of scientific research, educate students with the best European civic values, and his vision in building cultural, academic and human bridges between the scientific community of the University of Vlora and “Sancti Cyrilli” University, Valletta, Malta.””
Prof. Zisi then spoke of Prof. Baldacchino’s career as a former Member of Parliament in the seventies and as a Diplomat in the eighties; as a Council
Member of the University of Malta and as Governor of the Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology, and of his fundamental role in setting up the
first residential University College in Italy 35 years ago, in association with American State Universities, providing 3-year (BA) and 5-year (MA) degree programs.
Prof. Baldacchino was then robed in his academic gown and cap.
In his reply Prof. Baldacchino thanked the Rector and Academic Senate for this most prestigious award. He reviewed the ongoing collaboration between the two Universities and encouraged students to develop their intellectual and didactic capabilities, to reap future benefits of a vast and participative university culture.
Prof. Baldacchino also paid tribute to the outstanding contribution of the late Prof. Edward de Bono, a world renowned Maltese academic who developed
the concept of Lateral Thinking. He published over 60 books and his legacy lives on thanks to the “Edward de Bono Institute for Creative Thinking and
Innovation”, set up nearly 30 years ago at the University of Malta.
Prof. Baldacchino’s latest award follows a series of recognitions of his career as a globetrotting innovator and promoter of cultural exchange programs.
- 1986 – Awarded Diploma from the Mayor and Council of the City of Toronto, Canada: “In appreciation for services to Canada and Malta”;;
- 1988 – Granted “Freedom of the City” and presented with the symbolic Key by the Mayor and Council of Scarborough, Canada;
- 1992 – Nominated “Man of the Year” and awarded the Gold Medal and title of Grand Marshall by the Academic Senate of Long Island University of New York “For promoting American culture abroad”;
- 2000 – Awarded the “Gold Medal First Class” by the International Red Cross Society in Rome, Italy: “For sponsoring and financing humanitarian activities”;
- 2002 – Elected “Academician and Full Professor” of the International Informatization Academy of Moscow, Russia, in General Consultative Status of the United Nations;
- 2013 – Signed an Agreement with UNISDR – United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, whereby the Universitas Sancti Cyrilli was appointed Official Global Partner in the UN Campaign to render cities more resilient to World Disasters, through increased political awareness and the adoption of the “Hyogo Framework for Action” for sustainable urbanisation and climate change.
These last five years Prof. Baldacchino has also signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the exchange of Academic Research with the following
- State University of Calabria – Italia (2017)
- Logos University College of Tirana – Albania (2018)
- University College “Pavaresia Vlore” – Albania (2018)
- State University “Ismail Qemali”, Vlora – Albania (2018)
- State University of Bari – Italia (2019)
- University of Applied Sciences Ferizaj – Kosovo (2019)
- Canadian Institute of Technology, Tirana – Albania (2019)